Restoration of the Aghdam Juma Mosque

On April 25, 2024, President Ilham Aliyev and President of Kyrgyzstan, Sadyr Japarov participated in the opening ceremony of the restored mosque.

The Juma Mosque of Aghdam was originally built by architect Karbalayi Safikhan Garabaghi between 1868 and 1870. During the occupation by Armenian armed forces, the mosque was set on fire and subjected to vandalism. After the liberation of the territories, restoration work on the Aghdam Juma Mosque began in March 2022. The Heydar Aliyev Foundation led the conservation and restoration efforts, adhering to the mosque’s original architectural style. This project was supported by PASHA Holding and involved both local and international experts, including Austria’s “Brugger&KO Restauratoren GmbH”.

To ensure an impeccable restoration, the materials used in the mosque’s original construction were analyzed by Austrian experts. The process included clearing debris, conducting exploratory excavations around the columns and walls, uncovering the historical stone flooring at the entrance, and creating plaster and paint samples based on historical and technical requirements. The damaged dome and arches were reinforced with wooden structures.

The restoration included removing damaged plaster from the domes, reinforcing the domes and vaults with lime mortar. The interior stones and entrance door were restored, and the facade was renovated to match its historical appearance. The stones and joints on the balcony walls were cleaned and restored, and the foundations were strengthened. Broken minaret stones were repaired, and wooden structures were restored and conserved.

A stone fragment from the Aghdam Juma Mosque, presented to National Leader Heydar Aliyev on May 9, 2000, during the occupation period, is now displayed in the mosque.